Monday, April 20, 2020

If only one more day......

It has been a long time since I've used my teacher blog. I think this may be very helpful with my distant learning art classes.

So many different emotions over the last 37 days. I read a teacher written poem from facebook the other day that was spot on. I didn't want to re-post someone else's words, feels less sentimental. It was titled "If I had one one more day.." - it was an elementary teacher but related sooooo well for my seniors. During their senior year I find myself saying randomly throughout the year, oh yeah, before you grow up and leave us I want to tell this story (life lesson) that I learned that will maybe help you. ....and oh yeah, this is something you should know before you leave. The last story like that I remember telling them was these people you are here with now, your peers, there will be a strange bond between you that will last a lifetime. There is something to this time in your life that is imprinted as familiar and comforting, not all situations, and not for everyone. But a friend here or there and a situation that we are hoping bonds you to lean on each other in the next few years if needed. Heck, bonds you now for leaning on each other now because you all talk about feeling so alone, that no one understands what you are going through. It's so strange, but you all feel that and you are not alone.

I'm getting off topic, the title of her poem, "If I had one more day" - started my head spinning, If I had one more day to prepare, I would have sent you home with all of the supplies in the art room that you wanted to use over the next 8 weeks. I would have hugged you and told you to call/text/email/message me if you need anything in the not just last quarter of school but the next few years as you transition into the world as an adult, sometimes navigating what you feel is a yes/no question answer isn't, it's gray and maybe see-how-it-goes kind of answer. I should have taught you more of those crock pot casseroles in our Life Skills class. I would have said this is not normal for any of us - what you are about to experience... not normal for any of us. We are all winging it on what we hope we believe is the right thing to do. Lean on your peers, lean on your trusted adults, there are people that you can count on to be solid. I hope you are all doing ok. I hope you read your emails....... we aren't done yet

No comments:

Post a Comment